This annotator encodes MetaMap named entities in a format utilizable by UIMA components. The annotator is based on the MetaMap UIMA Wrapper (http://sourceforge.net/projects/metamap-uima/) authored by Kai Schlamp.
It is assumed the user has adequate knowledge of Java software development and the Apache UIMA Framework in particular. Experience using the UIMA framework with the Eclipse Integrated Development Environment is useful, but not required.
The annotator has the following pre-requisites:
- MetaMap Full Download
- The full MetaMap download and installation is required to use the MetaMap UIMA Annotator.
- Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.7 or later
- Also, Java 1.7 SDK or greater is required.
- MetaMap Java API
- The UIMA Annotator also uses classes from MetaMap Java API, so if your using Linux or Mac OS/X, (It's provided with Windows XP/7) you'll need to install that also.
- The UIMA Framework
- You will also need the "UIMA Java framework & SDK" which is available from the UIMA Downloads Page.
An Updated release of the MetaMap UIMA Annotator for 2012 is now available: It includes updated UIMA Descriptor Files which now use Java classpath-based paths instead of location-based paths to avoid any Windows file path issues.
Information on installing the release on Windows has been added to the document: "Using the MetaMap UIMA Annotator". Also, the document now has a section on using the MetaMap Annotator in the Eclipse IDE.
MetaMap UIMA Annotator DownloadsThe MetaMap UIMA Annotator release is now available in Zip and 7-Zip formats and is available here:
- 2014 MetaMap UIMA Annotator
- 2012 MetaMap UIMA Annotator